To rebuild a secure nesting population of Trumpeter Swans in Greater Yellowstone
» Find our more about GYTSI PROJECTS (PDF 1 MB)
Pacific Flyway RMP Management Objectives for Greater Yellowstone's Trumpeter Swans
| ||2013 Minimum Objectives||2010 Actual Values||% 0f Min. Obj. Achieved by 2010|
- Greater Yellowstone 's nesting swans are substantially below the minimum objectives managers want to achieve by 2013
- There are no long-term management objectives for the Greater Yellowstone Flocks beyond 2013
- There is no vision of minimum population parameters, distribution, and habitat protection that must be achieved to maintain their long-term viability
- Nesting habitat conditions in some areas are declining due to human disturbance, water supply problems, and possibly other more subtle causes.
CONSERVATION VISION PROJECT (2011-2012)
- Create a science-based "Conservation Vision" tool to assess the minimum population parameters, geographic distribution, and connectivity needed to maintain the long-term viability of the Greater Yellowstone Flocks
- Compile and analyze all possible long-term data sets; reprint and build upon the 1987 Gale, Garton and Ball analysis
- Identify risks to long-term viability, genetic issues, and habitat conservation needs
- Build effective partnerships with landscape level habitat initiatives to conserve habitats needed to maintain long-term viability
- Welcome the involvement of all Trumpeter Swan managers and researchers and build new partnerships with universities, conservation groups, and habitat conservation initiatives.
FIND DETAILS IN TTSS CITIZEN SCIENCE PROGRAM: TRUMPETER WATCH: GYTSI
- Monitoring nesting in Idaho' care area and the Wyoming portion of the Caribou-Targhee NF
- Long-term trend analysis and coordination of habitat improvement opportunities with IDFG, USFS, and other agencies
CENTENNIAL VALLEY, MONTANA - NEST HABITAT CONSERVATION
- Working with local ranchers and agencies to protect and improve historic nest territories on private and BLM lands in the Centennial Valley
- Evaluating characteristics of key nesting territories and possible factors causing recent reduced cygnet production
- Evaluating Lima Reservoir's molting habitat and coordinating with partners to maintain its exceptional habitat quality.
YNP - EARLY TRUMPETER SWAN STUDIES REVIEW
- Conduct an analysis of early nesting studies and efforts by George Melendez Wright that saved the last Greater Yellowstone Trumpeters
- Reconstruct early distribution and seasonal movements of Trumpeters based upon historical studies